As November draws to a close and the holidays begin rushing upon is, it is really easy to become bogged down with the stresses and pressures that the holidays bring. The holidays are my absolute favorite time of the year because giving gifts to friends and loved ones is one of my favorite things to do. Does anyone else get super giddy when you are watching a loved one open up the perfect gift?!
However, over the holidays a lot of us unknowingly give so much of ourselves without taking time to take care of ourselves and our mental health. Last year, by the time Christmas rolled around I was so run down and depressed that I was not able to fully enjoy the love and joy that surrounded me. So this year, I have been implementing some changes and I already feel so much happier and healthier. So if you are not sure how to relax and take care of yourself this holiday season or even if you would just like to gather a few new ideas on self-care, stay tuned for my favorite ways to relax over the holidays!
- Taking quality time to do things you love on your own– One of the best parts about the holidays is spending time with loved ones, however, everyone needs to take some time on their own to refuel and rejuvenate. One of my favorite ways of doing this is by curling up with a warm drink and a fantasy book(:
- Get active– Even if you aren’t a huge gym rat, spending time moving your body is an instant mood changer. For me, working out is my “me time”. It allows me to actually think while also getting an instant mood booster from the surge of endorphins. Even something as simple as taking a walk around the neighborhood or sitting down for some relaxing stretches instantly improves my mood.
- Take a bath– Grab a bath bomb, a luxurious smelling bath oil, and sink down into a nice, long bath. It will help ease the tightness in your muscles and calm your heart rate for a better night’s sleep.
- Drive around and look at the Christmas lights– Nothing makes my heart happier than driving around and looking at the wonderful Christmas lights around my neighborhood. Grab some friends and family members and see who can find the most decorated house!
- Watch some corny, romantic Hallmark holiday movies– No matter how much we complain about how predictable they are, there is something that always pulls us in with Hallmark movies. Maybe it’s the predictability that we find so appealing. It is nice to know that no matter what, love is always going to prevail.
- Do an art project- It doesn’t matter how un-artistic you believe that you are, everyone can find a project that they will enjoy. Even if it does not turn out perfectly, it is nice to lose yourself in the joy of creating something all on your own. Try painting, or writing poetry, or making a holiday wreath; the possibilities are endless.
- Bake some holiday treats– You and your friends and family will love this one. If you love baking, try a new recipe that you have always wanted to conquer. If you are new to baking, try something simple that reminds you of your childhood. Plus, the yummy treats will warm you from the inside out.
These are just a few of my favorite ways to practice self-care over the holidays. Even if none of these interest you, the important thing is finding what kind of activities relax and revitalize you. Holidays are all about giving, but don’t forgot to take some time to take care of yourself too!
Wishing you a wonderful start to the holiday season!
The Traveling Brunette